Identifying Black Mold in Your Raritan Home
You may have heard about the dangers of “black mold” or “toxic mold.”
Information around this can be alarming and confusing, so it’s best to get the facts to better understand what type of mold you may be dealing with and how to get rid of it.
Stackybotrys chartarum, or “black mold”, is known to produce allergens and irritants, but it is not the only type of mold to do so. It is important to treat any mold with caution, stay out of affected areas, and don’t touch or disturb the mold (kind of like Gremlins).
So, how can you tell if you have black mold in your Raritan home?
Many types of mold can cause reactions, so regardless of the color, contacting a mold remediation company such as SERVPRO is essential. In many instances, multiple types of mold may exist in the same house or structure. If you suspect you may have a mold problem, contact SERVPRO of West Somerset County immediately.
Things to know about mold:
When water intrudes into your home, mold growth can start in as little as 48 hours. Here are some mold facts that may help:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic, float along the air, and may enter your home through windows, doors, AC/heating systems, or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture and can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and that odor can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45%
SERVPRO cares about your safety and the safety of your home. If you suspect any mold in your home, please contact us ASAP.
Reach out with any and all of your questions and inquiries: (732) 805-9944
About SERVPRO Team Harvey
SERVPRO of Lower Manhattan is proudly owned by Lance and Jennifer Harvey - a husband and wife duo that owns three other SERVPRO locations, including SERVPRO of Lower Manhattan, SERVPRO of Hoboken/Union City, and SERVPRO of Aberdeen/Holmdel.
We understand the stress and worry that comes with a fire or water damage and the disruption it causes your home or business. Our goal is to help minimize the interruption to your life and quickly make it “like it never even happened.”